Saturday, November 07, 2009

Paul Revere and the 21st Century

I am angry. My heart pounds, my fists shake, and I sputter and cough out objections and exclamations. Why am I here, and not there? I ought to be running through the streets of Washington with my panting horse, crying “Congress is coming! Congress is coming!” for our foe is on their way, and will one day be parading into our homes. How can I help but be excited? Apathy only stirs me up, and were that this battle one beyond words and documents, and I a ready soldier, I would gladly take up arms to defend liberty.


My youthful frustration tells me there is nothing I can do and that it's out of my hands. My head tells me to go make some phone calls; write some letters. My heart tells me to rely on a sovereign God, and trust Him for the outcome. Which call is hardest to live out?


“What a historic time for our nation...” “What an honor for you, Mr. Speaker, in such a time...” “Today we will make history...” The Democrats are speaking on the floor. History? As the nation that once was founded on God-given rights and freedoms, and then abused and usurped those same freedoms in one big, record-breaking sweep?


I am an American girl of the past. My patriotic pride is based on those men who fought in the name of the Lord to protect the innocent, guard their families, and preserve the way of liberty for their future generations. When I place my hand over my heart, I gaze at the stripes on the flag; remembering not the personal and pure sacrifice of so many politicians today, but of the blood shed by men not so long ago during the forming of our nation. Will I and my family have the courage to show such sacrifice and dedication when the time comes?


This post may mean nothing to you. Maybe you found my blog through a random Google search, or happened to click a link from another blog. Maybe you don't care about the life and ramblings of a simple girl in Nebraska. But I ask you this: how much do you care about your freedom? Are you willing to pay fines, heavy taxes and penalties, and even spend time in jail if you refuse to purchase something you don't want? And even more importantly, how ardently will you oppose Satan's forces in our society, and proclaim the cross of Christ?


Sometimes my anger over injustice, and my eagerness to be a part of the action gets the best of me... and causes me to despair over my lack of control and influence. Tonight would be the opportune moment to let loose, as our Representatives vote on H.R. 3962, “Health Care for All of America”. Yes, we've written letters, we've called our Congressman, we've met with staff members and shared our concern over this very hot bill. Tonight we will pray. And then we will sleep, trusting our passions, concerns, anger, frustrations, and fears to Someone completely in control, and unconcerned.


Will you sleep tonight?


2 comments:

Ella said...

Congress is a piece of work....but I really don't see this going anywhere....I could be wrong though. At least, I don't have to worry about my Reps. =)

Stephanie Joy said...

I just wanted to thank you for this post. You expressed beautifully my feelings about this country. It's nice to be reminded there are others who share my beliefs.

~ Another Simple Girl from Nebraska