Friday, October 30, 2009

The Art of Expression


Election season falls over the worst holiday I know. Not only does snow and cold rain frequent the northern states during November, but dealing with Halloween décor is not my cup of tea at this time of year. In 2007 I took a trip to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, to do some grassroots campaigning. While very few residents welcome political literature dropped at their door, you would think that the majority of America was bent on scaring off any sane person!


I found myself climbing through cobwebs, running underneath giant spiders, hiding my eyes from corpses sitting on porches, and trying not to have a heart attack from the pre-recorded screams. The point, apparently, is not to create a welcoming, warm, and relaxing atmosphere for guests. Unless you are a young teenage boy, you will most likely find such “decorations” annoying, disgusting, and hopefully disturbing as well.


Unfortunately, our society not only has allowed such dark and un-welcoming expressions on our homes, but on our faces as well. I'm not only talking about the uninterested teen, mumbling responses, but also believers who fail to welcome a stranger with a smile, “hello”, or even a direct look in their direction. We often criticize a humanistic culture for things we tend to carry with ourselves in another form, and much of the time unknowingly.



I am often guilty of making wrong judgments of people based on first impressions, as I perceive through their facial and body expressions that they are quiet, reserved, and could not carry on a fun conversation with anyone... least of all me! However, once we manage to bridge the gap, I tend to find a more open personality than I would have expected. But why does there need to be a gap in the first place?



Therefore I have decided that expression, regardless of personality or character, is an art indeed. Some people are naturally very exaggerated and enthusiastic, and others are more reserved and introverted. But how far can we, as followers of Christ in a body of believers, take the excuse... “that's just not me”? There have been many times I know I have not met other young people, simply because I failed to receive eye contact, a smile, a nod... and also because I failed to give it myself. Are we willing to risk the loss of a friendship, acquaintance, or ministry opportunity to save our own comfort through blandness of expression?


We have less than a second to make a first impression. While we cannot paste a smile on our faces perpetually, we can make a habit of drawing others into our lives as we seek to have cheerful countenances, eye contact, and welcoming gestures. We need to learn to show the opposite of a demonic cultural holiday, celebrating death, darkness and destruction. We ought to instead be emulating the Word through our faces; drawing others to it's joy, light, and hope.


Forget the black cats, mocking jack-o-lanterns, and screaming witches. Give me Christ, and may we walk in and share His welcoming light!

4 comments:

Ella said...

ranble
It is so hard to not judge or jump to conclusions, isn't it? But you are so right.....we need to see past a person's facade and instead, see them through Christ's eyes.

Emil Bandy said...

very, very true.... I tend to do the exact same thing, and form extremely strong opinions based on first impressions.. :-)

The Marchioness said...

Did you put my picture up there as an example of an introvert, or just because you didn't have any better picture??

Qtierney said...

This is so true, and rather convicting. I'm slowly improving in this area, but am still definitely on of your introverts, for whom silence and solitude are the easy way out. But God has been laying it on my heart lately, how vitally important it is to reach out to others, in the church and in the world. Thank you for the encouragement!