Saturday, May 23, 2009

Come to Me, all you who are...

It's all too easy for individuals, especially Americans, to become wrapped up in our own daily lives, and forget to look beyond our circles. Very few times in my life have I been confronted with pain, deprivation, insecurity or loneliness; so few that I almost forget entirely it's strong presence in the world. (Truly; who goes searching for darkness and discomfort, when surrounded by the light?)


Just the other night we didn't have to go searching for something outside of our daily world; it came to us. In fact, you could say it basically stepped in our path and flagged us down. We were driving home as a family from an evening reunion when a young man stepped into the road and waved. Thinking all they needed was a tire change, or the use of a cell phone, we stopped and rolled down the window.


What we thought would be an innocent, 5 minute encounter turned out to be a two hour adventure with 3 rough young men. As we left the two men at the car and drove one of them to the nearest town, we learned about his distant family, felony history, and gang-member friends. What would have been a simple phone call for help, was in reality a wild chase towards help that would never come: these young men had no money, licenses, food... or friends.


I can understand running out of money and gas. I can understand struggling to hold down a job, and making less than wise choices as a young person. What completely boggled my naïve mind was the complete and utter lack of friends, or even acquaintances the young man had. They knew no one; aside from a few “friends” in low places completely unable to help.


As I began to ponder the people I've met in my short lifetime, and friends I've made, it's hard to fathom going through life... alone. It seems to me that simply striking up a conversation with a waitress, chatting with a coworker, or stopping to help the elderly lady reach something off the shelf can be the start to a friendship, or a chain of acquaintances. And yet so many around us go through life knowing only their loneliness and shame.


Some people may choose to live a life of anonymity; others simply don't bother to try. However, it may be more in our power to draw people into the light than we know, if we have the strength of vision to look into the shadows and recognize a need. Are you exercising your eyesight when you step out into the day? When we walk out the front door to our jobs, and go about our daily routines, how often do we really look a coworker, client, or passerby in the face and invest in their lives?


Those young men probably ended up spending the night on the street. While it may not be in our power to physically shelter others from poverty, or wrong life choices, we can offer what Jesus extended to all broken men in His life. Without Christ we are those friendless, hopeless people living in darkness, but by His grace we live in a light we can share.


Who will you share Christ with today?


“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Matthew 11:28-30

5 comments:

Elijah said...

Wow.

Miriam N. said...

I can only echo Elijah...Wow.

Jen, you have the wonderful talent for writing tactfully but still presenting your message. Well done.

Sarah said...

We are not likely to be better than our friends. That is sad, but true.

Great post!

Anna Naomi said...

I'll echo the ones before me. Wow!

Jen, I am blessed to know you and to read your writings! I'm sure you and your family were a blessing to the men that you stopped to help. Great job on reminding us of how much we have and take for granted.

Lauren said...

Jen, Thank for sharing!

(And Garrett liked the pictures too!) :)