Friday, January 30, 2009

Hello.... Is God There?

I have never had a cell phone. Call me old fashioned; I'd rather talk to a human being than a piece of plastic, I am appalled at the service rates, and can't stand to have someone text on their phone while trying to have a conversation with me. However, in the past ten years the average American citizen has gone from carrying no cell phone to owning multiple, and now it is not uncommon to see children as young as ten with them.

However, despite my disgust at our culture's need to constantly be engaged or entertained, necessity has forced me to look for a good service to use. And the hunt has been frustrating. Knowing that I will not spend hours every day on the phone, I was on the lookout for a good prepaid plan. What kind of phone would allow multiple services? What kind of service would cover my area? What prepaid plan could I find that wouldn't charge a day fee?


To make a long (and aggravating) story short, this ignorant girl bought 3 phones and ended up sending them all back. The last straw was when, after several hours on the phone with customer service, I ended up with a Kentucky number on a phone that didn't even work the weekend I most needed it. All I wanted was something not too outrageously pricey that would work. What does it take to make a few emergency phone calls???


In communication it's easy to get frustrated. Our internet connection is slow, our phone is dead, the reception is bad... we're always being charged for it and the perfection is never guaranteed. Sometimes all it takes is a lazy squirrel playing on the lines to cut us off! However, it tends to be in those times that we feel most cut off and isolated that the most important communication happens; prayer with an omnipresent God.

With the Lord there is no call waiting, no delays, no fees, no foreign customer service, and no static. It's the one form of communication guaranteed immediate delivery, reception, and response.


Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. - Jeremiah 29:12-13


There is no if or maybe for the elect; the Lord hears our prayers! Having to deal with waiting and delays so often in life, why do we refrain from speaking with our Creator in the simplest, and yet most blessed way possible? Why do we not daily, hourly indulge in this privilege... indeed, this honor and precious gift? We are commanded to pray;


Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, And He shall hear my voice. - Psalms 55:17

And

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. - 1 Thess 5:16-18


We need to pray always, everywhere (1 Tim. 2:8), and in all circumstances. So don't delay; take advantage of this flawless offer, paid for in full by your heavenly Father.


The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous. - Prov 15:29


2 comments:

Anna Naomi said...

Great analogy to use!

It's a good thing our family got a family plan cell phone last summer, because Belhaven doesn't have phones in the dorm rooms anymore. Everyone is just expected to have a cell phone, or you have to pay $50/month to have a regular phone in your room! The family plan also saves us money, for it allows all of us to talk to each other free. The weekends are nice because we get to phone anyone for free.

I don't have texting, however, and am glad that I don't! I don't want to spend my time trying to type away on the little keyboard!

Ella said...

That is a grea post.

This old-fashioned girl doesn't have a cell phone either. For the amount I use it (like to call you) I can just use Mom and Dad's easily enough. They have them for work purposes and that is how Dad calls us when on his way home.

I am an anti-texter. I will never forget the time Dad and I were at a football game and the guy in front of me was paying more attention to that puny little keyboard instead of the game. It drove me nuts!