Monday, September 29, 2008

Why I'm not going to college

As a naïve 16 year old, I thought being asked where I went to school was bad enough. Being asked what grade I was in was even worse. Try telling someone you are home schooled (my mom teaches me... actually, most of it is self study) and that you really aren't in one grade; it depends on what subject you're talking about. There was always that strange look that would eventually pass as they politely say “oh, that's nice”.


That was then. Now as a home school graduate the simple question “so what are you doing now?” could be considered the hardest question to answer; especially for the 576th time. Life is so easy for college students. The answer is a short and oh-so-easy “Bellevue University” or “Wheaten College”. Why? Because it's expected. Even in our free country where certain forms of education are not mandatory - but each citizen is free to choose his schooling method - people are still held captive by the status quo.


As a homeschooler and a Christian I was taught not to do things the easy way just for the sake of measuring up to the standards of others (and started to live that out at the age of 6 under the tutelage of my mother). Homeschoolers are not always safe from the cold shoulder or even harassment from government officials and Legislative bills. Abstaining from watching certain movies, saying certain words or hanging out with certain friends can be difficult. Wearing feminine skirts and dresses is definitely not something expected or easy to do in our flippant and sex-promoting culture.


But explaining that you're not going to college brings such bizarre looks and comments it's not even funny. When others see me working during school hours the question is sure to come up. Why aren't you away at college like everybody else?


Here are some answers that may shock you as well.


I am staying under my father's authority and protection


A few years ago I would have told you my dream was to either go to college and study classical art or join a dance company away from home. Most of this was due to my desire to please others; to present a degree and be praised for my accomplishments. Over the past year especially I have come to appreciate the security and protection of my home; my parents' continual guidance and wisdom, the closeness of a family relationship, the added liberty of no college or living expenses.


Skeptics can call stay-at-home daughters isolated and ignorant (as counter culture women, we can take it), but no 18 year old, home schooled or public schooled, can guarantee her maturity and strength to battle every negative influence she encounters away from home. Nor can we say that stay-at-home daughters are sheltered from life experiences and struggles simply because we live at home, watched over by our fathers.


I don't need a professor to learn what I want to


It seems to be a common misconception among critics that living at home means a girl does not get a job, take classes, and interact with other human beings. I am not restricted to socializing with my family, or working simply in our kitchen during the day (though I'm definitely not opposed to it). I have waitressed, teach ballet, volunteer at our Church office and am coordinating a volunteer group for a local campaign (Beau McCoy for Legislature).


My father has also encouraged me to consider taking classes at a community college someday, and I have many new skills, talents and jobs I want to learn over the next few years. My interests have always been with the arts; mainly ballet and violin. I also enjoy sewing, cooking, embroidery, reading, and would like to continue expanding my knowledge in history, science, math and language.


The best part about all this is, there are endless books and resources to help me learn - without a professor to look over my shoulder and tell me what to read or study. Self study requires a lot of diligence and focus, but almost all of the subjects I have an interest in learning are more than possible to learn on my own.


I can't afford the expense, and don't want secular teaching


While expense is definitely not the major reason I'm staying at home, it's a pretty big factor! Any college I would go away to would have to be a Christian private college, and I'm afraid Patrick Henry just isn't within our budget! How nice to be able to save my money for future expenses, like a home when I marry or a savings account for any emergency that comes up.


There's no way I would ever consider going to a secular college. You may call me weak; I don't think that I could handle being bombarded every day with an evolutionary and biased worldview, and consistently come out making the right conclusions and being untouched by it all. Granted, some classes are more generic and some professors more balanced, but for the most part college classes consistently teach an anti-Christian and very liberal worldview. However, being able to choose my own books and resources and take questions to the best professors ever (my parents!) has been a successful process yet, and without the anxiety of always having to be on my guard for untruths and biased opinions.


I want to be available


Something I always looked forward to during High School was the freedom to drop everything and focus on a special project or opportunity when it arises. One such example would be campaigning. Homeschoolers have been extremely influential with political campaigns simply because we are able to put school aside for a few days to volunteer.


Generation Joshua offers academic courses and creates political groups for teens, and since 2004 has been coordinating Student Action Teams for conservative candidates across the U.S. This year there will be many different teams campaigning. Meeting candidates, making phone calls, and being a part of the election process is an excellent educational opportunity; not to mention character building and learning to communicate effectively


This Fall my sister and I will be coordinating a group of teens to help out with the Beau McCoy for Legislature campaign; an opportunity we never would have had if we were attending college. As a single young lady, I want to be available to help when needed; to support my father's role at Church as an elder and help minister to families, to take part in performances and festivals, to be involved in ministries by writing, volunteering, and traveling.


One adventure my family hopes to take (soon!) is building a straw bale house on an acreage. This means designing a home, building together, landscaping and gardening. I'm excited to be available to work with my family on such a project; to design rooms and plan orchards and gardens. The opportunities are endless for young ladies who offer themselves for service to others and the Lord.


Conclusion


College is not inherently evil and I know many beautiful and Godly young women attending college away from home. I rejoice that we are free to pursue our interests as we feel led. For myself, I believe the Lord has led me to stay at home, and I couldn't be happier in another place. As I want to be available for projects that come up, so I want to be available to get married when the time comes. I have so many dreams and aspirations, but my greatest is to become a wife and mother for the Kingdom.


So in the end, what is to become of all the weird looks from shocked strangers at my occupation? My prayer is that the Lord's work would be evident in me as I fulfill my calling at home. I want to politely yet firmly show that really, it's not the opinion of others that affects the things I do and say. While it may be a trifle annoying to be asked that inevitable question for the 577th time, the Lord knew there was a reason for it, and I choose to believe it's for His glory and not my own.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. its really unfortunate you'll be missing out on such a great experience, and meeting other students - and men your age. But, best of luck. Secular schools might actually give you an idea of other perspectives - which you probably haven't gotten.

Anna Naomi said...

Heart-felt post, Jen. I'm glad you are enjoying your post-highschool days!

The website you made for your ballet looks really good! Great job!! It's nice to have a website to point people to. Hope your classes are going well!

Anonymous said...

Bravo for stay at home daughters! I am also at home, taking classes via the internet from a Christian school (Whitefield College) so that I can remain under my dad's protection. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.

~Jenna

Tobias Davis said...

I am continually amazed and impressed by your femininity and chastity, and encouraged and inspired by your devotion to the Truth.

Secular universities (like the one I attend) are not very enjoyable to someone who, like yourself, holds to Biblical views.

Have courage, be of good cheer.

Ken G said...

Home-schooled girl, you totally rock! And you seem better educated than most college grads I've encountered...

Anonymous said...

How can anonymous anonymous say you're not being exposed to other perspectives when those perspectives are all over our culture!

Vessels of Honor said...

what a great post,it was a real encouragement to me. i am homeschooled but now that i'm in my last year people are constantly asking me about college. I have told them i plan to stay home and i get the looks too.but i am excited to stay home under my father .i teach piano and play for my church and i look forward to doing all the Lord has for me to do.thanks again!

Monique E. said...

Be encouraged sister, I have personally been 'not at college' for almost two years now. God has truly blessed this time for me and if you diligently seek Him, He will for you!
Stand strong!

Ken G said...

American Maiden - congrats! Two more years and you can graduate from Notin College. I sell you a pretty diploma for $10.

Anonymous said...

You have a great blog! I am the mom of 5, my children are still young. I just wanted to comment on something from your post.

You wrote:
"...but for the most part college classes consistently teach an anti-Christian and very liberal worldview."

I could not agree with this statement more. At the secular college I went to (15 years ago), most of my classes were biased, it so frustrated me. I figured I couldn't go wrong with my math class. It ended up being vegetarianism and feminism diguised as math (watching videos of animal abuse and greenpeace, womens rights). When I told my professor I would be missing 2classes because of my wedding, I was constantly harassed for the next 2 months because I had "betrayed the female race". You can't even take a math class anymore. I would never send my kids to a secular college.
What a nice blog you have, I hope to show it to my girls someday.

Anonymous said...

College is not inherently evil and I know many beautiful and Godly young women attending college away from home. I rejoice that we are free to pursue our interests as we feel led.

Ditto.